Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thank you and an update

Thank you so much for your comments. This month has been awful but I'm finally doing better. Right after I posted about my son's fingers, I was sent a letter informing me that I was no longer in college. After a horrible panic, I was able to make an appointment at the school where I learned that the laws about financial aid had changed this year. The school has to take all academic conduct involving college into account, regardless of how long ago it was. So I was kicked out because I dropped some classes over a decade ago when I was sixteen (at another school in another state, I messed up paper work and had to drop out for financial reasons). I filed an appeal and they are allowing me back in, but I am on academic probation and have to pay extra fees and have extra restrictions. I will be on probation for as long as I choose to stay in college and will have to appeal every semester to stay in. This is so humiliating. I've always worked hard to be a good student, with a great record for over two years at this school, one B and the rest all A's. I broke down and cried in the office, and I NEVER do that in front of anyone. But it's affecting a lot of students, not just me, so I've decided just to stay in school, toughen up and deal with it.  

Then I got home and my hard drive died on my laptop. I've only had it for three months and of course have backed up nothing. I never write one story from start to finish. I have a bunch of stories that I switch back and forth between, so I lost tons of stuff. At this point I was starting to think I needed to search the house for hex bags, or examine my karma or something. But after wallowing in misery for a few days, I'm actually feeling much better. I may have lost specific wording and ideas, but I remember the stories and I can always rewrite them. Maybe the new versions will be better.

I miss my laptop so much. I keep getting ideas and paper feels like such an inadequate place to store them. It's actually helped to make me feel like writing again. So I asked around and a friend-of-a-friend of my mother's is going to attempt to recover data from my hard drive (let's just hope he doesn't read my stuff if he does, heh). Then I'm looking into if my laptop is under any type of warranty. I'm feeling motivated again and that's a really good thing.

My son's finger tips do appear to be growing back, which is wonderful! Although they still look awful. I don't know what I thought "slowly growing back" would look like, but this wasn't it. It's like a wound that doesn't close, but kind of peels and extends. Very strange, but I'm still super grateful.   

Thank you all for your comments, I was able to check them on my phone (I set it to beep when I got a comment) and it was so wonderful to read them during this awful time. Thank you so much, you have no idea how much it meant to me. 

My life isn't usually so full of drama and so I hope not to take up blog space will all this personal stuff in the future. You guys are amazing and I plan on posting something story wise soon (very soon if my data is recovered).  

4 comments:

  1. O.M.G. That's insane! Talk about when it rains it fucking pours. Wow.

    I'm glad everything sort of worked out with college and your son's fingertips are growing back.

    On the laptop thing, you need to be using Dropbox. It's free and automatically backs up your stuff online. Plus you can access it from any computer that has an internet connection:

    http://db.tt/8Ro4DR7

    Hang in there!

    LP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestion! I need something that takes the responsibility away from me, I'm not very organized and I forget to do things like back-ups. I will definitely give that a try when I get my laptop back. It was under warranty (yay!) so hopefully it will be fixed and back soon. I miss it so much. I'm having to do everything on public/shared computers, arg. I am feeling better though. My mom's friend made a back up disk off the broken hard drive, so there's a good chance my stories won't be lost.

    I had to write a short story at school today and it was so weird to write something with no M/M interaction and where no one got spanked at the end--blasphemous! Maybe I'll make a dirty version and post it on here, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're feeling better, and I can't wait for another story from you. I'd be very interested to read a Teen Wolf fanfic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited about this comment! Usually I'm the only one that likes discipline stories in whatever fandom I get into, lol. What pairing(s) do you like? I'm all about Derek/Jackson at the moment, but I would totally be willing to try filling a prompt =D

      Delete

Liked it? Have a suggestion? I'd love to read your comment. Thank you!